Andrew Zimmerman Jones
Nicknames: AJ, AZJ, Drew,
Dating status: Engaged
Pets:Winifred Burkle (cat) and Jericho Dogbone (golden retriever)
Resume of AZJ
Summary of Qualifications
- Passion for complex problem-solving. Degrees required high analysis,
logic, and problem-solving ability. Planned and executed experiments in
the calibration of GafChromic film for proton dosimetry.
- Exceptional written communication skills. Published author in a
variety of formats short fiction, poetry, essays, editorials, etc.
Wrote frequently for Detroit Project SEED newsletters. Was able to condense
complext scientific concepts into an entertaining & informative written
form for a science column for Southeast Michigan Mensa newsletter.
- Web page design, both with text HTML coding and the use of web
developing software (esp. Dreamweaver & Netscape Composer). Created
the website for the Wabash College chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon. Independently
developed a sample for Project SEED's web update, much of which was implemented
in the eventual redesign. I was a key advisor about the final website format
- Diverse computer operation skills. Familiar with Windows, Mac,
and UNIX environments, as well as most common office software. Graphic design
and manipulation with Photoshop and Fireworks image software. Have received
training in assorted computer languages: BASIC, Pascal, C++, and Visual
Basic. Very comfortable with new computer systems, becoming rapidly proficient
in their use. Also adept at set-up and operation of hardware associated
with computer use, such as audio-visual interface equipment.
- Document preparation. Proficient with a number of word processors,
specifically Word, WordPerfect, & OpenOffice. Utilized PageMaker for
layout and design of the Detroit Project SEED newsletter.
- Public speaking and verbal communication skills. Daily presentations
of advanced mathematics lessons to inner city students for five years. Presentation
of professional development workshops to educational staffs and district
administrators. Master of Ceremonies at three Project SEED Gala Celebration,
with over 1,000 attendees per ceremony. Some minor acting experience in
high school & college. Direct sales experience. Presentations of Project
SEED to officials at city & state level to promote funding.
- Diplomatically address sensitive personal and work performance issues.
Certified peer counselor in high school, providing 6 hours per week of counseling
to fellow students. As morale officer in Tau Kappa Epsilon, frequently addressed
and resolved issues that caused conflict among the members or which endangered
a member's academic standing. Performed continual peer review and performance
evaluation with Project SEED, as well as supervision and training of summer
- Strong planning and management skills. Have coordinated numerous
community service projects and social events in the Boy Scouts, Tau Kappa
Epsilon, and Mensa. Also organized the spring 2001 Project SEED Gala Celebration,
which had over 1,000 attendees.
- Office organization and management. Prepared invoices, order forms,
and other office work for Wabash College Computer Services. I was chosen
twice as part of start-up team to begin a new Project SEED office, in both
Pontiac, MI, and Louisville, KY.
April 2006 - Present
Guide to Physics Write and edit all content on the About.com Physics Guidesite.
CTB/McGraw-Hill Indianapolis, IN
August 2004 - Present
Math Content Developer Review and select items for content in mathematics
assessment tests. Oversee content review process. Edit and lay out materials
for presentation to customers. Prepare manuscripts and insure high level
of quality assurance throughout the entire page production cycle. Communicate effectively with customer and other members
of the development team.
Family Network Agency Anderson, IN
Math & Web Design Teacher Provided daily instruction in
mathematics to middle schools students during a summer school program. Coordinated
the evaluation of students utilizing a computer-based assessment, and designed/implemented
individualized study programs to target weak areas. Also designed a curricula
in web page design that I taught to grades 4 through 8 students.
Project SEED Detroit/Pontiac, MI, Louisville, KY
Math specialist - Utilize a socratic, question-based strategy of discovery
education to teach high-level mathematics concepts (algebra, geometry, pre-calculus,
calculus, etc.) to elementary and middle school students. Present demonstrations
and professional development to teachers and administrators. Adapt curricula
to the specific needs of students. Perform the training of new SEED instructors
& summer interns, act as supervisor and mentor, and provide continuing
evaluation and feedback to other specialists. Maintain office database, network,
and workstations. Preparation of documents for classes, as well as promotional
material and instructional materials for professional development workshops.
Indiana University Cyclotron Facility -- Bloomington, IN
Nuclear Research Assistant - Plan and implement experiment on Cross-Calibration
of GafChromic MD-55 Film for Photon and Proton Dosimetry, adding precision
to the results of all experiments performed using the Cyclotron. Design and
build of the experimental apparatus. Data analysis & organization. I assisted
in other experimental procedures taking place at the Cyclotron Facility, ranging
from electronic fluctuation tests to medical physics experiments.
Wabash College Computer Services -- Crawfordsville, IN
Fall 1995-Spring 1999
Computer Lab Technician/Office Assistant - Supervision & maintenance
of campus computer labs. Assisting students with operation and repair of campus
computer equipment. Troubleshooting and repair of personal computers. Purchasing
and inventory of equipment. Perform regular maintenance operations on campus
computer network mainframes.
Vector Marketing, Int. -- Bloomington, IN
Key sales staff - Salesman of Cutco brandy cutlery. Develop
leads and schedule home presentations of merchandise. Training of other staff
members. I was awarded with one of three key staff positions after
three weeks, helping in basic administrative duties in the office.
Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis, August 2008 (anticipated)
- M.S. in Mathematics Education
Wabash College, May 1999
- B.A. in Physics
- Minors in Mathematics & Philosophy
- 3.6 cumulative GPA
- magna cum laude honors
- Placement on the Dean's List for 6 of 8 semesters
- Awarded the 1998 Harold Q. Fuller Prize in Physics
Publications - see Writing page for more information
- "Empire of Silk, Empire of Flannel," International House of Bubbas, edited by Selina Rosen, Yard Dog Press, 2005.
- "Fantastic Revisions: An Introduction to Fantasy Adventure History,"The Internet Review of Science Fiction, 2005.
- "Abraham Lincoln's Children," ChimeraWorld 2, edited by Mike Philbin, Cyber-Pulp Books,
- "The Secret of King Kong
Mountain," KidVisions, edited by Tyree Campbell,
Sam's Dot Publishing, December 2004.
- "Ascension," Cyber-Pulp's Halloween Anthology 3.0, edited by Bob Gunner,
Cyber-Pulp Books, October 2004.
- "Mr. Ned and Dr. Ted," The Four Bubbas of the Apocalypse, edited by Selina Rosen,
Yard Dog Press, December 2003.
- Heresy Today, Law Tomorrow science
column for M-Pathy, the newsletter of Southeast Michigan Mensa, 2000-2001.
Column was nominated for the 2000 National Publication Recognition: Best
Essay Award of American Mensa, Ltd.
- Cross-Calibration of GafChromic MD-55 Film for Photon and Proton
Dosimetry, Summer Undergraduate Research Program, Indiana University
Cyclotron Facility, 1998. This work was also cited in numerous later reports
prepared at the Cyclotron Facility.
- Assorted articles for low-circulation newsletters, such as that of the
Mensa Writers' Special Interest Group and the Detroit Project SEED newsletter.
- School newspaper articles and literary journal publications in high school
Assorted Honors, Social & Leadership Positions
- Master Mason, Calvin W. Prather Lodge #717
- Subject of article "Math Specialists are a Plus" in the Louisville Courier-Journal, Sept.
- Acknowledged with "Huge thanks" in the Hugo award-winning novel
by Robert J. Sawyer.
- Southeast Michigan Mensa, Treasurer
- Co-host of Darrel & Drew Show on Wabash College, WNDY
- Wabash College Student Senate Secretary
- Tau Kappa Epsilon social fraternity, Academic/Morale Officer, social chairman,
activities chairman, Membership Quality Board representative, student senate
representative, Treasurer, Webmaster
- Certified as a high school Peer Counselor
- Boy Scouts of America, Senior Patrol Leader, Eagle Scout rank